I have been blessed with countless amazing friendships in my life...I cherish my friends and I love them all so much. To me, the characteristics of a true friend is someone who will stand by you, no matter what. Someone you can trust with your deepest secrets. Someone who will bring you dinner and take your kids, even when you say no...just because they know that you need it. Someone that makes you feel happy when you are around them. Someone who doesn't compete with you, but is happy for you when good things happen in your life. Someone who will have your back and stand up for you. Someone who doesn't get offended or jealous if you spend time with someone else. Someone who truly wants what is best for you, even if it is not best for them. Someone who cheers you on in your life!
These are two of my very best friends and I absolutely LOVE them! They are always there to help me out when I need it and they make me laugh so hard that I pee my pants! They make my life fun and all around better! I couldn't live life without you girls!!
I think the first thing that we must do to gain a true friend is to be one ourselves! Here is a great list of 11 characteristics that can help us become a better friend.
1. Accepts you as you are: A true friend is someone who does not try to be somebody that she is not and accepts you as you are. They are also patient with you when you make mistakes and forgive you easily.
2. Is Dependable: A true friend is dependable and you can trust your friend with your secrets and know that he would not let a third person know about it. They stick with you in good times and bad.
3. Is Honest: A true friend would be honest and loyal with you. She does not break the promises that she made to you. She makes you feel safe and secure with her.
4. Listens to you: A true friend always listens to you and cares about your needs and emotions. A true friend would be there always when you need to talk. When you have news to share or grievances, she will give you her full attention.
5. Would be there for you: A true friend would be there with you through thick and thin. Good friends don’t call up people only to request a favor. But would be the first person to come to your aid in time of crisis.
6. Gives you Space: A true friend respects your privacy. They understand that you have family, other friends and colleagues who are part of your life too and do not cling to you always. A true freind builds trust and confidence with you, which makes you comfortable enough to share your good and bad times.
7. Always keep in touch: True friends don’t wait for you to call them. They always makes an effort to keep in touch with you even if it is through a quick phone call or an email. They know what's going on in your life and is interested about it. A good friend makes it clear that they care about you.
8. Do not gossip about you: A true friend does not gossip about you or talk behind your back. A true friend is a person you can trust and won't say anything about you or try to damage your reputation. They will let you know when they're concerned and do their best to stick up for you when you're in trouble. A good friend will also apologizes when she does something wrong. She does not hold grudges.
9. Would be Happy for you: A true friend never gets jealous on your success but would be happy for you. She celebrates your success as her success. A good friend will likely know how to lift your spirits and make your day.
10. Would be Supportive: A true friend is supportive of you and your goals. She will know what makes you tick and help you become the person you want to be. They won't try to change who you are or drag you into situations that make you uncomfortable.
11. Is Giving: True friends give more than what is asked. When they see a need they respond without expecting anything in return and without anyone knowing about it. True friends are generous with their time, money, possessions and knowledge. Best of all they have a generous spirit.
I feel so incredibly lucky to have the friends that I have...you know who you are and you know that I love you and am so grateful to have you in my life! Peace, Love & Rock and Roll to all of my friends out there!
|A few of my favorite Self Improvement books…||30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself! Best List EVER!||10 Rules for ULTIMATE happiness|