Being an interior designer, it's funny to me that a lot of my emails and comments that I get from my followers are questions about mine or my kids appearance. These questions range from our hair, clothes, skin care, my gym routines, to what we eat on a daily basis. I am definitely not an expert in any of these fields, so that's why it makes me laugh to answer some of these questions. I have had several requests to do a blog post about my hair and I have recently found some amazing products, so I thought I'd share them with you.
Check out Madison's hair when it air dries...can you say crazy lion afro? This girls hair is thick, coarse and naturally curly. She has a beautiful color and ever since she was a baby people have asked me if I dye her hair. She gets compliments on it all the time, but her hair is usually in a braid or a messy bun because it's so hard to tame. Until now!! I have tried a variety of flat irons and none of them can even compare to the Sam Villa Sleekr. It took her hair from crazy to sleek within minutes. Check out her before and after pictures...unbelievable!
1. Redken Smooth Lock: I put this in my hair before I flat iron or curl it and it keeps it nice and smooth...or, put it on the flyaways after styling.
2. Palmers Coconut Oil Formula: This is one of my all time favorite styling products and it is inexpensive and you can buy it at Target. I put a small amount on each section of my hair before I curl or flat iron it. It keeps my hair smooth and frizz free.
3. Redken Hairspray #12: I use this when I am done styling to give my hair the finished look...smells great too!
4. Redken Powder Refresher: This is key...especially if you sweat on a daily basis, or if your hair gets oily. I try to go 5 days without washing my hair (it's so healthy for your hair to do this) and this helps keep my hair looking fresh and clean.
5. Heat Protectant: Make sure you use a heat protectant spray before you use a flat iron or curling iron. This will protect your hair from becoming damaged. This Matrix brand is the one I am currently using, but there are several great ones out there.
6. Hot Tools Ceramic Curling Iron: I use 1 1/2 inch rod and I curl it in large sections to give it that relaxed, soft look. Here's a great tutorial on exactly how I curl my hair with a curling iron, from my friends blog The Girl in the Yellow Dress.
7. Sam Villa Sleekr Flat Iron: This is the best tool I've ever owned. I use this to do my hair straight, soft sexy curls, beachy waves, or tight curls. I absolutely love it. Here's a tutorial to learn how to use a flat iron to make curls.
If you want to purchase the Sam Villa Sleekr, I have a 20% off code for all of my readers. Use EBDC in the coupon code box when checking out.
I bought the Redken products and curling iron from Ulta.
Here is my routine on when I use these products:
Day one: wash hair, heat protectant, smooth lock (just a small amount), blow dry, section hair and apply a small amount of the coconut hair milk to each section right before you curl or flat iron it. It depends on the day if I use the hair spray because it will add more hold, and somedays I want a more relaxed look.
Day two-five: Use the powder refresher the day your hair starts to look or feel greasy. It will pull the grease out and give it volume instantly. I spray it on and blow dry it through for a minute. Some people can keep the same curls from the day before, but I usually need to go through mine quickly again. When I do, I apply a small amount of the coconut hair milk to keep it looking tame. After I am done curling it, I will wait for all the heat to get out of my hair and I will pull my fingers through it to make the curls separated. I will add some oil shine or the Redken smooth lock to calm any flyaways. It usually only takes me ten minutes to do my hair on the days I don't wash it.